Current:Home > reviewsNew Mexico prepares for June presidential primary amid challenge to Trump candidacy -VisionFunds
New Mexico prepares for June presidential primary amid challenge to Trump candidacy
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 16:58:25
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — New Mexico’s major political parties are scheduled to certify presidential contenders to appear on the state’s June 4 primary ballot, amid uncertainty about whether Donald Trump can be barred from contention by any state under anti-insurrection provisions of the U.S. Constitution.
Party-certified presidential candidates will be vetted in February by the New Mexico secretary of state’s office to ensure they meet administrative requirements to run for the office. New Mexico Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver, a Democrat, said she won’t exclude candidates that meet administrative requirements — unless a court with jurisdiction intervenes.
The Colorado Supreme Court on Tuesday barred Trump from the state’s ballot under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, which prohibits anyone from holding office who swore an oath to support the Constitution and then “engaged in insurrection” against it. It’s the first time in history the provision has been used to prohibit someone from running for the presidency, and the U.S. Supreme Court is likely to have the final say over whether the ruling will stand.
Little-known presidential candidate John Anthony Castro has challenged Trump’s eligibility to appear on the ballot in New Mexico and Arizona in federal court based on anti-insurrection provisions of the 14th Amendment. The Arizona lawsuit was dismissed earlier this month and a ruling is pending in New Mexico. Trump lost the New Mexico vote in 2016 and again in 2020 by a wider margin.
A county commissioner in southern New Mexico last year was removed and banished from public office by a state district court judge for engaging in insurrection at the Jan. 6, 2021, riots that disrupted Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s presidential victory.
Former Otero County commissioner Couy Griffin has appealed that ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court after the New Mexico Supreme Court declined to hear the case based on missed filing deadlines. It’s unclear whether the U.S. Supreme Court will take up Griffin’s case once it’s fully briefed next year.
The constitutional provision used to bar Griffin — and now Trump in Colorado — has only been used a handful of times. It originally was created to prevent former Confederates from returning to government positions.
“These are constitutional issues and it is not the secretary of state’s role to make this kind of a legal finding in New Mexico,” said Alex Curtas, a spokesperson to Secretary of State Toulouse Oliver. “As long as a candidate meets all the administrative requirements to be placed on the ballot in 2024, they would not be excluded from the ballot unless a court with jurisdiction made a legal finding and ordered that person to be excluded.”
veryGood! (4431)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- The New York Times says it will stop endorsing candidates in New York elections
- Why Are the Starliner Astronauts Still in Space: All the Details on a Mission Gone Awry
- It Ends With Us' Blake Lively Gives Example of Creative Differences Amid Feud Rumors
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Old School: Gaughan’s throwback approach keeps South Point flourishing
- Millions of campaign dollars aimed at tilting school voucher battle are flowing into state races
- Chicago-area school worker who stole chicken wings during pandemic gets 9 years: Reports
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Powerball winning numbers for August 12 drawing: Lucky player wins in Pennsylvania
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Life as MT's editor-in-chief certainly had its moments—including one death threat
- Get 1000s of Old Navy Deals Under $25, 72% Off T3 Hair Tools, 70% Off Michael Kors & More Discounts
- As Olympic flag lands in Los Angeles, pressure turns up for 2028 Summer Games
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Kevin Durant invests in Paris Saint-Germain, adding to his ownership portfolio
- Why Chappell Roan Scolded VIP Section During Her Outside Lands Concert
- Jets shoot down Haason Reddick's trade request amid star pass rusher's holdout
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Dancing With the Stars Season 33 Premiere Date Revealed—And It’s Sooner Than You Think
Drone video captures aftermath of home explosion that left 2 dead in Bel Air, Maryland
Warts can be stubborn to treat. Here's how to get rid of them.
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
All-Star, Olympian Dearica Hamby files federal lawsuit against WNBA, Las Vegas Aces
RHONY's Pigeon-Themed Season 15 Trailer Will Have Bravo Fans Squawking
Judge says Maine can forbid discrimination by religious schools that take state tuition money